CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

March 29, 2010

Setting New Goals, Aiming for New Distances

So the past few weeks have been a flurry of activity with the new baby, continuing to unpack the house and settling in with a new unit and new families. Now that Jamie is 6-weeks-old, and I've healed from the c-section (for the most part), its time to start getting into a routine and as part of that routine includes taking some time to take care of me or I will be no good to George, the baby or the unit's families.

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had discovered a healthier menu. I say "menu" because "diet" often suggests that once my goal of weight loss is met that it is over, but that isn't the case. In addition to the healthier food choices, I'm most excited about being able to work out again.

Before I was pregnant, I had started running as well as cardio work. Now I wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but I could hold my own and was continually inspired by fellow military spouse, Army Blogger Wife. I mean she manages to participate in runs and tri-athlons while juggling a very suppotive, yet busy husband, a pre-teen who thinks she's a wsie-adult, a creatively energetic and independent middle daughter and little boy who can ellicite laughter from even the grumpiest Scrooge!

So with a little prodding from my husband (o.k. a lot of prodding and guilt-trips of "I just want to spend more time with you") I agreed to set the goal of running the Miami Half-Marathon with him next January (why can't he just join me in a cooking class or something!) To make it even more enticing, he said he'd even let me enter the Disney Princess Half-Marathon in March 2010. The things I will do for a tiara!

So, tomorrow starts my workout (Doc cleared me to S-L-O-W-L-Y start working out again, but I never do anything slowly!) I am excited to see how this journey goes. I know I will be a little disappointed with my progress at first because even though my brain knows I have been preganant and thus unable to run, my competative nature says I should be where I was 9-months ago! We'll see. I'll try to post my progress often (though some will be upbeat and others may show my disappointment.)

Until our next cup of tea ...

4 Tea Party Guest:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Sorry I have been missing in action. I am glad to hear that you are doing well enough to start your exercises again. Go for it, stay in shape cause if you don't do it now you will be fighting the battle of the bugle later in life.
Molly

Elissa said...

You are going to be ready to run half marathons LONG before January lady! When you put your mind to something, thats it, it gets done! Good luck in your training! I need to get back on the running wagon to, I have been slacking a little bit the last few weeks.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Way to go! I am impressed! With our weather (warm for some, but still too cool for me :o) I have been avoiding even walking around the block! Our younger daughter just did a half marathon in Lexington, KY this past Sunday-in the pouring rain! ugh!

You are awesome!

Blessings & Aloha!
(I have been out of town so am just now catching up on blog reading! Yay for a mid week day off! have to catch up on housecleaning and drawing orders too...If you get a chance, do come by :o)

ABW said...

You're so sweet!!! It took a lot for me to get started, and I was extremely overweight!

A half marathon is a great goal and something I have yet to do, but will hopefully do soon. I started out running very very very slowly and just increasing my distances. Once I got to the distance, I started working on my speed, one tenth of a mile at a time. I'll never be the fastest runner, but I do enjoy it.

I know you will do it, and I can totally see you running the Princess Marathon with a tiara in your hand!!!!!