CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

June 5, 2009

Out of my element ...

{Sigh} For the most part we are settled in. The house is unpacked, we've explored the neighborhoods and local communities and we've got a schedule going. But I'm a bit out of my element.

This is our first Army move, so its all new to me.

At our last duty station I had lined up a job before arriving. I soon became actively involved in the unit's Family Readiness Group which was easy considering the unit was new and just being created. They were looking for help from any spouses who were available. Working at the post newspaper, I was in the know about activities and programs on post. By the time the first deployment preparations had started I was already researching a master's degree program to reach a personal goal while keeping myself busy. Working at the newspaper I also met a variety of leaders, their spouses, allowing me to make friends from all over post with relative ease. What most people find hard to believe is that I am relatively shy. Once I am comfortable, it is more easy. We also lived on post, so that made access to activities easier.

Now that we are here and I am not working. I do spend about two hours a day at the gym, but then come home. I occasionally go exploring, but feel bad because Sgt. Major does not have access to a dog door at this house. So I spend most of my time at the house.

I tried to contact a few organizations regarding volunteer opportunities, but haven't heard back from most and the few that have give me the run-around about needing to meet with a specific person to "interview". At our last duty station, which was in the middle of nowhere, there were many opportunities.

Its different for me. Yesterday, I went to the mall and ran some shopping errands. It was weird for me to be in the mall during a work day. I felt like I should have been doing something, but knew that this is what my daily life has become. I get up, make breakfast for us, see him off to work, then after cleaning the kitchen and a few house chores, just wait for my time to go to the gym. I've never been this "empty" on my schedule before. My poor planner looks so sad!

I'm excied about finding some activities and will keep you posted on what I find. The Red Cross ... the Post Museum ... the library ... I'm not trying to rush into anything, but rather want to find something that is a perfect fit. We'll see what I can find ... it's just one grand adventure!

Until our next cup of tea ...

9 Tea Party Guest:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll find your element soon!

Sarah the Army Wife said...

I totally understand what you are going through! This is the first time since I moved out of my parents that I don't have a job and up until two weeks ago I had wedding planning and VA stuff to do. Now there isn't much for me to do other then keep up the house and try to keep myself busy.

stitcherw said...

Sorry that you're so at loose ends at the moment. It would be hard to go from being quite busy to looking for things to do. Hopefully you'll find the perfect position for your interests, and that will keep you challenged, soon.
Sue

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds silly, but sign up for a community class...like knitting or water color painting. Anything! It is a great way to meet local people that are involved in your community. Plus, the classes are usually pretty fun and laid back.

My Army Brats and Me said...

Good luck with your move. I have lost count of moves now. Enjoyed your blog.
Cindy

Sue said...

Michelle,
Although we are a generation apart, and in totally different circumstances, I can really relate to what you are going through as we pull up stakes for full time RVing. Except for our trips to see the kids, I haven't been away from here for more than a couple weeks at a time. It's exciting but also scarey at the same time. I know that you will find your niche - there is one for all of us no matter where we go.
Whatever adventure God has in store for you, enjoy the journey. He's got it all planned.
Blessings my friend,
Sue

Vee said...

When you find it, it'll be just right. Hope that you find ways to create yourself a bit of fun. Have you met many other people there yet? Got some good neighbors? I know! Sign up for a class...just kidding. I can tell that I'm going to get clobbered with a sandal if I keep that up. ;D

Simply Authentic said...

Hi--I actually just found your blog via a search about Ft Polk, where I just relocated to be with my husband. I completely understand this post, as the job search process here hasn't turned up much currently and it's frustrating being well educated and not so involved. However I just found the Volunteer Program site today and it sounds like you had a good experience with it so I'll have to check it out! Congrats on the pregnancy and hopefully the transition is improving?!

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting site you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some photos :).