CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

March 29, 2009

A Challenge Accepted ...


Today in visiting blogs participating in Pink Saturday I found Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer Reads and she is hosting a Spring Reading Challenge.

"What fun!" I thought as I a stack of books stare down at me in disappointment since I should have been doing homework. Yes, I should not be on the computer playing, when my master's exam is merely days away, but this would make the reading more fun right!?!

So here is the information:

Challenge: Spring Reading Challenge 2009
Start date: March 20, 2009
Finish date: June 20, 2009
Hosted By: A Southern Daydreamer Reads

Rules:
1. Make a list of books you want to read this spring.
2. Write a post with your list on your blog. (You can add to or change this list at any time during the challenge)
3. Please post the direct link to your Spring Reading Challenge 2009 post. (so that other participants can visit and see what you are reading)
4. You can write another post in June to let everyone know how you did.

I will compile a list and update it soon, but for starters, here is what I have to read for school (its a master's in Military History):
1. The American Way of War: A History of United States Military Strategy and Policy (by Russell Weigley)-COMPLETE
2. The Warrior Image: Soldiers in American Culture from the Second World War to Vietnam (by Andrew Huebner)-COMPLETE
3. Passage through Armageddon: The Russians in War and Revolution (by Bruce Lincoln)
4. A Stillness Heard Around the World: The End of the Great War (by Stanley Weintraub)
5. Hitler's Army: Soldiers, Nazis, and War in the Third Reich (by Omer Bartov)- COMPLETE
6. War Without Mercy: Race & Power in the Pacific War (by John W. Dower)
7. Why the Allies Won (by Richard Overy)- COMPLETE
8. After Tet (by Ronald H. Spector)
9. The Limits of Air Power: The American Bombing of North Vietnam (by Mark Clodfelter)-COMPLETE
10. On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society (by Dave Grossman)
11. Wartime: Understanding and Behavior in the Second World War (by Paul Fussell)



I'll try to post a review as I read them, but the school books will be all at once, as soon as testing is done ... Some are not that bad! Take some time and visit Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer Reads to learn more and to sign up! Off to read some more ...

Until our next cup of tea ...



Editor's note: Original post 3.29.09 @ 5:00 a.m.

3 Tea Party Guest:

Vee said...

Well now, that's quite a list. I daresay that there aren't too many young ladies with that one. ;>

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Oh my, I used to love to read, would slip a minute every chance I got, but now I very seldom read. I know I need to, but just can't sit still that long, I feel like I need to be up doing something or painting. I really need to slow down and start reading again. Thanks for the post. Might not do the challenge but will think about reading again. I love the titles of the books you have to read. I love our Army. Are you headed to Benning? There is a saying on awall there, I forget exactly where it's been so many years ago and so much has happened but It tell's why we are free, I did a cross stitsh of it for Chuck, will have to see if he still has it or not.
Talk to you later.
Molly

Sue said...

Michelle,
Can you please tell me where you get the time to do all this? How awesome! In reading your previous posts, I wish you and George many blessings in your new home as you move to "just another Army post."
You and I - moving in different directions, but still in touch.
God Speed and hugs my friend.
Sue