September 13, 2008

The Ike Chronicles: Part III

Well we survived the night ... in the hall. I got so tired of all of the sirens and seeking shelter in the alway, that we just stayed there. We've already heard the sirens two more times this morning. At this point when I say "Sgt. Major, let's go" he thinks its a game, so he runs in there and sits on the pile of blankets. I've cleaned most of it out this morning so it's just the TV, his food bowl and a blanket.

Well I woke up this morning at 7:30 a.m. when the power went out. Since Sgt. Major was snoring so loud it mimiced a freight train, I decided to stay there and drifted back off to sleep after calling my father-in-law to check in. George was still sleep and they'd lost power and water, but he said that he thought there was a old generator in the garage that he'd have George look at when he got up. By this time Sgt. Major had started to get antsy, so I turned on the radio to the local station and turned off the flashlight and settled in. He moved around until his nose was two inches from the radio (on the floor) and was asleep in minutes, snoring even louder than before, if that is even possible. I guess the sounds of classic country (I'm talking Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash and Charlie Daniels is his sleeping pill! He fell asleep to "Devil Went Down to George" and I was awake long enough to hear the local update then passed out while "A Boy Named Sue" droned on in the background.

I awoke an hour later and chatted again with spouse/friend/neighbor whose husband was scheduled to arrive at the local airport just before lunch. The power returned about 8:30 a.m. and after quickly checking the local TV stations and post website, we learned that tornados were expected throughout the day and that there were downed powerlines across post. I told her to check with the Military Police, but if they were flying him in, then the roads would be open.

By 10 a.m. both the pup and I were tired of being cooped up, so we ventured out. While he rolled around on the carpet in the livingroom (like it'd been SOOO long since he'd seen it!) I set about making cinnamon rolls.

Well, I'm off to enjoy hot "sticky buns" while the pup "reconnects" with the carpet.

Until our next cup of tea ...

6 Tea Party Guest:

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

When the going gets tough, the tough bake... Yup, that sounds like something I'd do, too.

A night in the hall doesn't sound like any fun, but I am so glad that you played it safe. Good to know that you are safely through this one! We'll be seeing Ike Monday, but he'll be nothing more than a remnant of his former self.

Sue said...

So glad you are getting through this ok..well, as ok as you can. Glad that George and his dad are ok too...and the puppy, well it sounds like he is just taking it all in stride.
Blessings my friend.

ancient one said...

Okay.. another blogger checking in and is all right after Ike... I've got about 3 more blogging buddies from Texas I haven't heard from yet... So glad you are ok and have power and everything. God is Good!

liberal army wife said...

I'm so glad you and sgt maj. are ok. hot sticky buns? from scratch? can I come over????


stitcherw said...

Wow, you've been having a time of it. Glad to hear that so far things have been ok if challenging. Hopefully the worst is past now and things can start to settle down a bit. This sure has been a crazy year for weather. Hope your FIL is doing well, and that they are ok in that area of Houston, the pictures look horrible. Enjoy the sticky buns, they sound wonderful.

Sheila said...

Good to hear you came through it safely. Hopefully it is all but over. We are supposed to get the tail end of it here tonight in S.Ontario, with heavy rain and a tornado warning. Everything is stored safely, and now we'll wait and see what happens.