CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

March 10, 2008

If it weren't for war ...

Welcome to my soap box ... I get so tired of hearing people say if it weren't for war things would be better. There'd be no famine, widows, etc. Don't get me wrong, I've seen first hand the true sacrifices made because of the commitment American Soldiers have made, but do you really think it's fair to further your cause using their name?

I look back over my life as a military spouse over the last five year ... no further, my life with my husband takes me back eight years, and I wonder if it weren't for war ...

Would I still have witnessed the true meaning of patriotism and pride in our country? Would I have felt the sadness of saying goodbye, outweighted only by the joy of saying welcome home? Would I have witnessed the strength of a community, learned that "Family" is more than blood relatives or shed tears at the tiny voice of a child explain with pride that her dad is not at home because he is helping people? Would I have learned how strong I can be when needed, felt the power of helping another without asking for validation or opened my heart to friends of all walks of life? Would I have said goodbye too many times, while welcoming the adventure that each new day brings?

I dare say, I would probably be living the same boring day over and over. Waking each day, dreading what was to come from a mundane job, same relentless chores, and never ending errands. I'd probably live next to the same people for 20 years and never know their name, drive the same route every day never seeing the beauty around me.

If it weren't for war, I'm never have married an American hero, be inspired by those around me or treasure the littlest moments such as making dinner with my husband or dancing on the porch in the moonlight. Maybe they're right, it sounds like such a horrible life!

Until our next cup of tea ...

6 Tea Party Guest:

Sue said...

Beautiful post. Absolutely wonderful. As I think about the deployment looming for our Stephen, I also think about the last two. We made it through and it made us all stronger. We just visited Laurie and Stephen and Kasey this past week and if there is one thing I see when I am with them, it's love and commitment and the appreciation of living in the moment. Living in the moment and loving every moment they are together. It's not an easy thing, war, but it helps you to recognize the important things.
God bless you Michelle - you have the wonderful blessing of seeing your cup half full, not half empty.
Blessings my friend.
Sue

Alice said...

I just learned my cousin's husband is leaving for Iraq any time now. He expects to be gone for a year and a half. He's a Major in the Reserves, an attorney in private life. I'm going to point her here because I don't think she knows any military wives to get support from. (She met him after he left the regular military.) It would help her alot to read your writings.

stitcherw said...

Lovely entry, it really makes you think. There is a saying something along the lines of - if you didn't have troubles you wouldn't appreciate the good times. Your entry reminds me of that, that because of what you've had to deal with, the other times are all the more sweet and you can appreciate all the more what you have which might have been taken for granted otherwise.
Sue

Sarah said...

It's my first time reading your blog, but I liked this post so much I wrote one to go along with it:

http://tryingtogrok.mu.nu/archives/262167.html

Take care, and hang in there!

Anonymous said...

It's so beautiful that so many Iraqis and Americans had to die in a war based on lies in order for your life to feel slightly less boring.

dswitzer1 said...

OMG - Anonymous? What a crass and insensitive comment -- and even an attempt at sarcasm to make yourself feel superior behind your shield of anonimity...very classy...I'm sure you are a fine human being.
Clearly you don't score well in the reading comprehension part of life - but I'm sure you are a fine human being nonetheless. Now that was sarcasm.