CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

December 3, 2007

Reflections

On my way to work this morning, I let my mind drift as i drove the now familiar path to work. Christmas carols played on the radio and I hummed along contemplated in my head how in the world I was going to get all of my homework done. I exited my mental organizer just in time to drive past the building that house the 3,500 Soldiers of my husband's unit. It was like a ghost town. No cars vying for a space, no Soldiers darting across the road unlucky to have had to park in the farthest lots. No olive-drab green trucks, scuffed from boots and guns lining the road. It was desolate, empty, barren. I thought of those times when running late for work, I gritted my teeth as Soldiers dashing for formation stopped traffic and said a prayer under my breathe for "our boys." I missed them. Sure now the lines at Burger King and the PX are shorter and traffic is a breeze, but it really wasn't that difficult. I loved sitting at the Blimpies, park or other serene spot and watching the hustle of hurried Soldiers. I would try to imagine what they were doing ... grabbing a quick lunch before heading out to the field, hurrying to meet up for formation or maybe rushing to pick up medicine for a sick child on their lunch break. It's funny to think about the things that annoy us, but when they are gone we miss them. Funny, how fickle we are as a society, always rushing to our next task without stopping to smell the rose, smile at a stranger or enjoy the sights around us. I have said it before, I am a people watcher and I miss "my people."

Until our next cup of tea ...



Editor's Note: For those who have expressed concern, my oral surgery when well. I was quite surprised to find that there was no pain or even discomfort. It has taken a bit to get used to eating on the right side of my mouth, but othere than that you wouldn't know. Thank you yo those who expressed concern.

8 Tea Party Guest:

lime said...

that kind of quiet on such a large scale must be strange

Sandra said...

I can totally relate to this post and not only when the soldiers are gone but even my husband, when he's home and I get annoyed for the mess he leaves laying around, or the dirty shirt that he left on the floor or the toilet seat left up.....it's THOSE things that I miss the most when he's gone, it just makes me realize how I would give anything to have him there with me at the moment.

Keep hanging in there, I've kept you in my prayers!

Sandra

Darla said...

Of course you miss "your people". I know the missing won't go away but I'm hoping it will become easier as the days go by tho.

Darla

smilnsigh said...

Thank you for telling us that you are doing well, with the 'mouth.'

And now..

You've been to my blog. But please read here and see why I can't comment in yours, for a bit. Yish...

Mari-Nanci

Grimstarr said...

Guys, I'm happy to report that Michelle (who puts the "M" in M&M) came by my office for a visit today and her mouth is working just fine ... trust me on this one. Love ya Sweetie! WOOT!
TG

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how the most annoying things are the things you miss the most?! I am such a neat freak, and I swear I hated the clean the whole time James was gone. It just isn't right without somebody messing it up is it?

ABW said...

I understand...

I even miss that "army smell".

stitcherw said...

It is strange and sad how much of things we don't notice or appreciate until they are gone, then we miss them. With all the hustle and bustle from before it would be quite a shift to the quiet you have now. Hopefully you'll have plenty to keep you busy, it certainly sounds like you've got a full schedule.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. Hopefully your mouth heals quickly, it is so hard to remember to only eat on one side.
Sue