CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

November 11, 2007

The Power of Patriotism: Thanking those who Serve


Veteran's Day: A time to reflect on the sacrifices made by everyday people rising to a challenge. Moments in America's history where ordinary people banded together to accomplish extraordinary things. In today's Global War on Terrorism, our veteran's are coming home at the young age of 18, 19 and 20 years old ... a far cry from the image of elderly men and women we picture when we think of past wars. Even then, their war heroes were young, but have grown old with time, the wars they served in a distant memory recorded in books.

Friday, I saw the faces of today's hereoes, nearly 3,500 of them as my husband's unit gathered at the unit's deployment ceremony. It's daunting to think that these brave men and women will spend 15 months ... two Thanksgivings, Christmases, and countless birthdays and anniversaries away from their Families. I was thankful to have my "battle buddy" KG attend with me. Here husband left a month ago and together we'll get through it.

It was a proud moment for many of us, to hear publicly the praise for the work that our Soldiers had done and the great things they will do in the future.

In my work at the newspaper and now working with the MP unit Families I attend many ceremonies but I love them. It's a chance to honor the Soldiers for their achievements ... changes of command to deployment ceremonies to welcome homes. The discipline and unifirmity the Soldiers display are a are wonderous sight.

This past weekend, we had friends from home visit, but yesterday they had to return because they both had to work today. I don't understand how Veteran's Day is not considered a holiday for some. It is a day to honor those who serve, yet not important enough to close a business for a day.

As for me ... my religion is patriotism and my church is everywhere. My faith is in America. Thank you to all who have served, all who are serving and all who will answer the call.

Until our next cup of tea ...

8 Tea Party Guest:

Alice said...

What a lovely tribute you've written, Rose Michelle. I always think of my father-in-law on Veterans Day. He served four years during WWII.

Darla said...

Beautiful writing. I thought of you all day yesterday (I celebrated on Nov. 11) and even linked you in my blog post.

I'm so glad you had someone there with you for the deployment ceremony.

Darla

kari and kijsa said...

We just wanted to say thank you for all of your sweet comments on our blog....

Have a very, very, very blessed day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

smilnsigh said...

Yes, we must never forget to heed Veteran's Day.

And on a lighter note, I just read your comment in Alice's blog... "I'll have to write this one down in my "deployment pick me up" book!" That's such a cute idea. The "deployment pick me up" book! I love it!

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, so good to remember all that have sacrificed for us!

lime said...

i'm late getting here btu thank you to george and by extension you, for the service to our nation.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Absolutely! Wonderful post :)
Hugs from Fort Lewis

stitcherw said...

What an impressive picture, and what a lovely write up. It is to bad that more people don't recognize and acknowledge the sacrifices that so many have made for us.

I'm quite far behind in reading blogs at the moment, but wanted to mention that the letter to a military wife you posted was awesome. Also, totally enjoyed your report on your Mexican vacation, glad that you had such a good time. Oh, and Sgt. Major looked adorable in his devil costume.
Sue