CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

October 7, 2007

Military spouses need battle buddies too ...

Yesterday I accompanied a friend to her husband's deployment ceremony. Like mine, her husband will spend the next 15-months in support of the Global War on Terror.

She and I have become closer, I think, in the last few months as the reality of our husband's deploying again became real. We clicked right from the start having much in common ... both military spouses, career women, no children, but owners of very spoiled special-needs pets. Our husbands are both in roles of leadership.

Even more so, we both accepted the same job - in different units - recently.

During the last deployment I was busy with multiple friends, helping them deal with the seperation, though I never showed my true feelings to any of them. In the past few months I have come to learn how shallow and fragile those friendships were, which for a while left me feeling cheated. I was prepared to face this deployment in more low-key manner, taking care of me. But in talking with her, especially the last few months, I've learned that while in the last deployment I may have had many distant friendships, having one that I can feel free to be myself and not feel judged is what I should have been focused on.

I've come to realize the importance of a "battle buddy," someone who may see my deepest fears and still be there. The next 15-months may be long, but I know I won't be alone.

Until our next cup of tea ...

6 Tea Party Guest:

Cheryl said...

Im glad you've found a friend you have so much in common with :)

Butterfly Wife said...

Sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Such an important thing to have someone close when your loved ones are away.

ABW said...

So glad you have someone to get through this deployment with, it will make all the difference.

How's work going?

Waitress Polly said...

thanks for sharing. I like your photo--it looks very thoughtful, as is your post.
Anyway, keep writing your thoughts and feelings. It'll help alot. I found you on milblogging. I've put a link to you on my blog so I can keep tabs on you.
Take care,
Waitress Polly

lime said...

so glad to hear you've got the ear and shoulder of someone who really can identify with what you'll be going through. i'm sure it will make a huge difference.