CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

October 2, 2007

When a soldier comes home, he finds it hard to ...

When a Soldier comes home video
.

I normally don't surf YouTube, but I "googled" a photo spread a fellow military spouse sent me and I found it in video format. It makes me cry, but in a good way. It reminds me of all that they give up for our freedoms.

Another friend emailed me and said that in support of what the Soldiers were giving up in this 15-month deployment, she was going to give up three things she loved until they returned. I thought it was a great way to show support, so after much though (and some tears) I have decided that when my husband leaves I will give up the three following things in support of him and his fellow Soldiers ...

1. Alcoholic beverages: it's really not as fun without my husband anyway
2. Sodas: it may hurt a little but I can do it
3. Chocolate: This one will hurt ... BAD! It means chocolate as a candy, cake, ice cream, garnish and beverage. Guess I'll be clutching coffee to ward off the cold this winter.

But then I got to thinking. In honor of the freedoms they fight for, maybe I should try three new things because as Americans we have the luxury of making choices, whereas in many other countries people are persecuted for going against their society. So in honor of their fight for our freedoms I will:

1. Try something new every month (they give up their hobbies and liberties to protect us)
2. Workout at least 4 days a week exercising (my husband had to run on a dirt track that surrounded the FOB when in Afghanistan)
3. Participate in at least two activities a month that include other spouses (support is a valuable asset during a deployment.)

I encourage other military spouses or supporters who'd like to join me in either giving up ar adding something to their routine in support of their Soldier to leave a comment. I'll encourage you and hope you will encourage me. We can get through it together far better than we can alone.

Until our next cup of tea ...



Editor's note: There was some lag with my web page so I'm hoping that by replacing the video feed with the link it will be better.

6 Tea Party Guest:

ABW said...

Wow! What a great idea! I will definitely be joining you in this, and I know ice cream is on the list of things to give up since DH and I could live on ice cream alone. Off to think of more...

lime said...

that collage spoke volumes. thanks. good suggestion you make too.

Alice said...

What a sweet idea. I especially like the trying new things idea as that is so positive and something the folks we're showing support for would want for us. I don't have a particular soldier to root for; I'll root for them all.

smilnsigh said...

I've seen that youtube and yet, it still gives me goosebumps, to see it again.

Mari-Nanci

Anonymous said...

These are great ideas. As an experienced wife of a soldier I think you are helping others realize that living and learning is part of loving their significant other that is fighting for our country.

Hopefully you can offer some resources for those who deal with some of the pitfalls of being part of military life, like court martial information and legal resources.

I hope this small resource can help.

Darla said...

Goodness, its good to be in contact again. The last several times I tried to get here my computer completely froze up on me. Don't know the why of it but I am happy to say "Hi" and let you know I've been thinking of you.

Darla