January 17, 2007

Icy beginnings ...

Well today started off very cold. Now I know your Northern dwellers may laugh at me when I complain about weather in the 30s but I ask you, have you ever seen a southern belle in a parka? NO! Because we don’t do cold.
My husband got a call at 5:19 a.m. this morning telling him that morning formation and PT had been canceled due to weather advisory. We have a very smart commanding general (I am actually in awe of him, but that is a different story). He realized the consequences of icy roads and Soldiers who may not understand the dangers would far outweigh the loss of a day of PT.
So I started my day by snuggling under the covers and coaxing my nearly 70-pound bulldog who is quite warm to cuddle with me while my husband was on the phone.
After resetting the alarm clock, I burrowed deeper under the three layers of covers (which included my childhood blankie) while my nearly lung-crushing pup settled back to sleep resting on my chest. (After 2 years I have learned to sleep with the painful piercing stab of his knobby knees in my chest or back.)
The alarm went off at 6:45 a.m., but being the efficient person that I am, I figured I could get up at 7:15 a.m. and still make it to work by 8:30 a.m. So off to sleep again.
At 7:20 a.m. I jump into the shower. When I get out my husband informs me that my boss called and said we didn’t have to be in to work until 10 a.m. SWEET!! So I crawled into bed wet hair and all, but alas, mommy’s shower means time to get up for the puppy and he was fully awake after going outside via doggy door to lift a leg to his favorite bush.
After much wrestling, and eventually loosing to the 70-pound pouncing machine (and a paw to my head that brought tears to my eyes), I got up and went to the livingroom where I gave him food and water, then settled in to watch the news. After checking out his food he promptly went to sleep by the bookcase as I muttered under my breathe that I could still be in bed.
As I got ready for work, slowly since I had more time, my husband gave me tips on driving on the icy roads.
“Be sure to remote start the car and them go out there a little later to turn on both (front and rear) defrosts,” he said before leaving for work.
After finishing getting ready, I gathered my things and headed out to my warmed Tahoe. My truck was covered with ice and I was glad I had pre-started it. Despite the cold, I put my stuff in the car and grabbed my camera. So as I warm myself with hot cocoa, here are pics my icy start to the day.

The water seemed to freeze where it had fallen last night. There was not sheet ice, just frozen water drops. It alsmost looks like a rainfall instead of ice. When I got into the truck this morning my wipers automatically came on and pushed the ice off in one big sheet, it was way cool for this southern girl. The door handles were still icy when I went to lunch.

I know I owe my readers the Day 2, 3 and 4 posts of our Mexico trip and I promise to post them soon. Getting back into the groove and catching up on everyone blogs has taken more time than I thought. I have so much to do, but I promise to get those posts and the other tea cups in the collection done soon. Thanks for your patience.

3 Tea Party Guest:

Seamus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seamus said...

I'm really quite ok with snow, but I despise ice!!! We saw a lot of it in Atlanta. Hope you all stayed safe!

lime said...

yes, i am northern and 30s is cool, not cold...buyt i appreciate the absurdity of ice in LA. actually i really want some nice honest to goodness winter weather here....yes, i know that is somewhat touched in the head.