October 10, 2008

What happens in Vegas ... eventually gets posted on my blog!

O.k. so despite the many hours at the hopstial while George was on R&R, we did get a chance to go to Las Vegas ... Crazy fun! We were joined my out closest friends Gordon and Mindy for a 2.5 day whirlwind of fun.

After transferring flights because his dad was in the hospital and then getting a delayed flight, we finally left out at midnight on a Friday night ... first class baby!! Because of the time change, we arrived at 1 a.m. and were met my our limo. We stopped by the hotel and picked up Gordon and Mindy who had taken the original, earlier flight. The we were off for a impromtu guided tour via limo of the Strip and the Freemont Street. It was great.

After heading back to the hotel and checking in (we stayed at the Venitian), we dropped our bags off and headed to the Lux Restaurant where we ate dinner/breakfast at 3 a.m. before heading off to our rooms for a few hours of sleep. This was the entry into the Vienitian (right).

The suite was amazing as well. We stayed in the Venitian tower, where you needed a access card just to get in the elevators. The room was all blue an gold and gave me lots of inspiration for our livingroom. There was a sitting area and dining area. The bed was on a platform and the bathroom was HUGE!

The next day we walked around exploring, played a little at the casino after enjoying the breakfast spread in the Tower Lounge. We also found out that the lounge had a semi-formal tea (LOVED IT!!!) and happy hour.

That night we had dinner at Emeril Lagasse's Delmonico Steakhouse where we had steaks and pork loin (I wanted something different so George and I could share) and a bottle of wine. After dinner George and I went to see the Phantom of the Opera and then Gordon and Mindy joined us for a Showgirls Show. So much fun, after which we stopped by and played at some of the local casinos late into the night before dragging ourselves to bed for a few hours.

The next day we had the breakfast at an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet that have EVERY type of breakfast cusine possible, organized by ethnicity. In the words of Rachael Ray ... Yumm-O!!!Afterwards, George and I went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum where George got upclose with Jessica Simpson and I spend a little time in bed with Hugh Hefner (I know, it creeps me out just to type that!) I also married George Clooney and George stared down The Rock.

We actually had so much more fun than we thought, but I think it was because we were open to trying something new. Outside of our comfort sone. I also took a picture with Julia Roberts, Bette Midler and Jackie O. George could be seen with the Duke, shook hands with President George W. Bush and dunked on Shaq. They even had a small haunted house that scared the crap out of me!

After that we walked around the inside of the Venitian's shopping area where they had a gondola ride. If you look at the picture you would bet money that it was outside but that sky was actually painted on the ceiling of of shopping area. Even standing beneath it, it was hard to believe that you were not outside.

The gondolas were amazing as they snaked though on building and shops. We were going to ride them but the line was long and I was a little weirded out that people stood at the rails and watched you like stalkers as you rode through. Besides there was no way I wanted to miss the Afternoon Tea at the tower. We had gone the day before with Gordon and Mindy, but them found out that their package didn't include it for them, so they opted not to pay. So they went shopping when we headed to the Wax Museum. The tea was amazing and had some great scones (though I kept saying crumpets because I love tea and crumpets.) I have now discovered that I love rasberry jelly. Who knew!

For dinner we met Gordon and Mindy at the Wolfgang Puck restaurant, Postrio. It was good, we opted for gormet pizzas. Afterwards, we grabbed a taxi and headed off to see The Amazing Johnathan, one of George's favorite comedians.

Aftwards we managed to make it back to Freemont Street to see the midnight light show, then spend a few hours at the casinos until the early hours.

The next morning, Monday, was headed back to reality, but not before grabbing some chocolate covered strawberries at a local gormet shop before heading to the limo.

All in all, it was a great experience and we are saving up to return and see some of the things we didn't get to do and see, like the Bellagio's water show, I always loved those fountain shows. By the end of our whirlwind weekend, we were pretty exhausted with little sleep, but loved every minute of it. My list for next time is already started!

Until our next cup of tea ...

3 Tea Party Guest:

ancient one said...

Wow.. you packed a lot into your weekend.. but you two deserved every bit of it.. I'm so glad you got this chance just to enjoy yourselves! And thanks for sharing your adventure. I enjoyed this post!!

ancient one said...

Thanks for coming by my "lazy" post. That was my husband's one day vacation. He is anything but lazy, in fact he is a workaholic. But while we were at the Outer Banks of NC in Sept. he saw this huge chair outside a True Value Hardware store. It took him a couple of tries to get up there and when he laid back he almost disappeared. I took his picture, then had him slip up to the front and hang his legs over. The chair slanted so much he had a hard time getting back out.. we laughed and laughed... he wanted me to try to get in... I told him as much trouble as he had, there was no way I could get my big butt up there... All my children loved this picture... we think he looks like a doll ...LOL

Sue said...

Smiling here. How neat that you shared this travelogue and so glad you had the chance to go.
You are a wonderful looking couple.
Please thank George for his service, and thank YOU for all you do for our military.
God bless you both and many hugs.