CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

July 26, 2008

Momentary Rant: My Pet Peeve

O.k. I'm not really one to get on a soapbox and rant, but sometimes there is something that sticks in my head and I can't shake it. There's not much that I let get to me, but the more I hear this the more it gets to me ... Maybe I should start at the beginning.

Sometimes you will meet people in the military who are "old school" they believe that enlist should stay with enlisted and officers interact with officers. I have, on a few occasions, be told that I should have more officers spouses as friends, but since I work with Soldiers and Families I tend to find friends in those I have common interests with ... go figure, what an archaic system!

That still doesn't get to me as much as when people comment on me being able to pay for stuff because my husband is an officer ... whether it's a meal, something for the house, a "me" gift, or my masters. Even friends have said it to me ... jokingly of course, but it still gets to me.

I don't know why it gets to me, maybe it's because I have worked all of my life to get where I am and to have the things I have and people disregard it with the assumption that I am merely a spoiled officer's wife.

I work too ... I have worked fulltime, during deployment lived on my paycheck and putting his in the bank, and managed my money to the penny, saving what I could for my future. I started putting money away for my retirement at 18, I still roll my extra change.



I have be raised to be consciencious of the decisions I make, always thinking of the future. If I offer to pay for lunch, it is not because I am in some way trying to flaunt my husband's rank or how much money I have in my bank account.

O.k. I will step off the of the soapbox so someone else may have a chance.

Until our next cup of tea ...

7 Tea Party Guest:

lime said...

finally catching up here. sorry to hear about your foot, what a pain...literally. sgt major is so cute in his protectiveness.

and i can understand why these sorts of people get on your nerves. chin up sweetie. you know the truth.

Alice said...

It's just not the military that you'll find that attitude. I get it too because I don't work and because of my husband's job. But like you, I've always been very careful about spending/saving. It is annoying and really awkward when someone makes a comment about what I can afford. And if anyone said that after I'd offered to buy lunch, that would be the last time I'd ever offer.

stitcherw said...

People just don't think before they speak so many times, whether they mean it the way it sounds or not. Others, just don't care, either way, it hurts (and irritates). However, as Alice said, it does happen in all areas. It is amazing how many people there are like that in the world anymore. Hang in there and don't take it to heart.
Sue

ancient one said...

Some people don't know how to give a compliment and try to joke or something and it doesn't come out right... just smile and thank the Lord for all his blessings...

I have an award for you at:

http://everlastingmercy.blogspot.com/2008/07/sharing-love.html

Come see..

Kimmie said...

I'm the Stay at Home Mom with all the time in the world to say "yes" to everyone who asks me to do things for them.

Sue said...

You know, this bothers me too. My kids do very well as enlisted - both are NCOs, but they are givers - they are like you. What they have, they share. And not only those they are generous to are blessed - Laurie and Stephen are as well, just by the enjoyment they have in giving and sharing.
It's in the spirit of giving that everyone is blessed..those that receive, and the giver as well. You are a giver - you do not flaunt it...you just give and enjoy it and I pray you are blessed because of your generosity. You have a gift. Too bad others can't get past the officer's wife idea...they might learn something.
God bless you and George.

wot said...

Don't mind ranting, that's practically what blogging is for! LOL Just let it all out and then carry on. ;) Also:

Congratulations!!

You have been nominated for the Brillante Weblog Award:) Please see my blog! (Stitch and Serve)