CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

July 13, 2007

Like Linus, I will not let it go


In my previous post I wrote about my love for reading, in it I mentioned my pink blanket. Well here is the story of that beloved piece of fabric.

The blanket entered my life as a toddler. My parents were divorced and when I was an infant and my dad got custody. When he would take us the the babysitters before work (at like 4 a.m.) he would wrap my brother and I in our blankets while we were still asleep and drop us off on their sofas or extra bedrooms.

A few years later, in the 1980's there was a scare of electric blankets catching fire and my grandmother removed the wiring because I didn't want to give up my blanket. I held onto it for the next few years, but when my father remarried, my step-mother and I didn't see eye-to-eye and she trid to get rid of "the ratty thing" quite often. But alas, I won.

Over the years it did become tatter. I washed it regularly, especially when I was sick. I didn't sleep with it, I would curl up in it when I read which was about the same amount of time as sleeping. When we were homeschooled and later when I was doing homework after school, I would wrap my legs in it because the desk chair in my room was quite uncomfortable.

When I was 14 or so, I tried to stitch the tears in it with embroidery floss and pieces of fabric I got when visiting my mom one summer. It wasn't very professional looking but it held up until about three years ago.

I have been trying to figure out a way to nake it last longer -- maybe make it part of a quilt or something.



As you can see I've had to learn to share my blanket. Sgt. Major has taken a shine to it and I have to be careful not to let him grab it when he gets into his playful, tug-of-war moods or he'll tear it.

2 Tea Party Guest:

lime said...

books were my refuge as a child too. and i still have my favorite blanket as well. i rescued it from my mother's rag bag (oh horror!!!) once when i found it there coming home from college.

stitcherw said...

I can see how the blanket would be comforting to snuggle with, it ahs such memories (and it looks very soft). In one form or other I think we all have a security blanket that is special to us.
Sue