CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

October 23, 2005

Bit of a scare!

I had a bit of a scare at lunch Friday. Let me precede this story by saying that it has been my experience growing up that I have found that some people should not be parents. I'm not saying people make mistakes, but after a few years as a volunteer at various Fire Departments, I have seen people put the lives of their jeopardy over stupid decisions ... but I digress.

As I was saying I was going to lunch and stopped at a red light on a two lane road, in the right lane. Anyway, as I was stopped at the light I noticed two cars on the side of the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. Two adults were standing at the back of the second vehicle, a truck.

As the light turned green, I tried to get into the left hand lane before passing them, barely managing at the last minute.

As I passed the cars, a little girl who could not have been more than 2-years-old ran out into the middle of the right lane, must have gotten scared and ran back.

My scare ... had I not been able to get over I would have hit the child, a horrible memory I would have to carry with me for life.

My anger ... people who have no care for the safety of their children. What kind of parent not only gets their child out of a vehicle parked on the side of the road, but then turns their back on them. Whether or not it was a four-lane road is not the issue, but that should alert the parents as to what kind of traffic is in the area. Not to mention that it was on post in front of the hospital and elementary school.

Maybe I am just harsh because I am not a parent, but even as the older sibling of 12 children, I would know this is a bad decision. Yes, we are in Louisiana, but even if it is hot, leave your child in the car seat and open the door facing away from traffic. Really ... am I wrong in my anger?

1 Tea Party Guest:

Anonymous said...

I had one like that myself on the weekend a mate and I were going to the tip (rubbish dump) with a trailer of crap. A little girl about 3-4 shirt with no pants and a little scooter bike was standing on side of the road in front. I slowed and she didn't even look and ran out in front of me then back to the roadside (this is a busy road by the way). Scare the ... out of me!!! As we drove past looking for parents or adults there was none to be seen. The little girl, cute little thing that she was called me every name that obviously her parents had taught her. I now how you feel. I have 3 kids of my own and actually once reversed into my daughter jamming her head between the car bumper and the gate. Had that sick feeling when I realized just like the other day. Anyway you are right in being angry parents do a responsibility for the safety of their kids. Anyway enough bulldust, cheers.