CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

September 27, 2005

Hurricane Update: One crazy ride!

What a ride Hurricane Rita has been ...
My grandparents, aunt and 7-month-old cousin came in Thursday night after trying to head east to my brother's house from Houston.
My aunt said it took them 18 hours to get to my house which is usually a 3-4 hour drive.
I wasn't too worried about having enough food or water, but I was worried about how Sgt. Major would react to having so many people in the house and how my aunt would react to him around Baby Benjamin, but all was well.
Rita was predicted to head towards the Texas coast, but much to our dismay it headed our way.
We were affected pretty badly here. We had been without power and phones since early Saturday and only post had running water. We just got power back on (last night) but Leesville is expected to be without for a few more days in some areas. Thankfully it is a shorter wait than the predicted 2 weeks. So for now we are just waiting.
There is still no gas so I am holed up, hoping what little I have left will last. I have to go back into work tomorrow and hopefully gas will arrive soon. I don't know what we will do in regards to the paper because Lake Charles was destroyed much like New Orleans, and the printers are in Sulpher (near Lake Charles). For now I am working from home on a article about the anatomy of a hurricane and there is some pretty interesting info on them, even if it is a little too close for comfort.
Both hurricanes have been a pretty devastating blow to Louisiana and we still have two more months so I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.
My husband was stuck in NY (Fort Drum) with flights on hold now because of storms there. He was suppose to return Saturday but I got word that he'll bee home tonight (YEAH!!!).
Now we are just getting back to our normal routines. With my family here Sgt. Major was limited as to what he could do and that was hardest for him at night because he normally roams the house, but had to sleep in the livingroom with me. We also worried a lot about how he would do in the heat, because for his breed of dog (English Bulldogs), deaths from heat are common in extreme weather.
Once my family left I opened up the house and he spent and hour just running around from room to room. Once the power returned last night he stayed up until past midnight watching television (which he loves!) and cooling off.
He is back to eating a little bit of food as it was way too hot for him to eat during the power outage (another concern) so slowly things are returning to normal.
Our only concern now is get gasoline for our vehicles ... I'll keep you updating the site on the trials of hurricane season.
Oh, yeah ... I also have pics of Sgt. Major's first hurricane! Coming soon!

0 Tea Party Guest: