CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

July 5, 2011

Adventures in Reading




Jamie "reading" his Elmo book to Mickey Mouse


When I was a child I loved reading. Books took me on adventures to far away places, times long ago, and showed me things that were limited only by my imagination. In these stories I became the charaters ... a princess, a nurse, a detective, an adventurer. When Jamie was born I knew I wanted to instill the same for reading in him that I had nurtured as a child.

Recently, in my book club, we read a book called the Reading Promise. It's author tells the story of her father making a deal with her to read together for 100 days ... those 100 days stretched to 1,000 and beyond ... lasting, unbroken, until the day she left for college. Other members of the book club, mostly other moms in our play group, discussed how we enjoyed reading to our kids and the traditions we'd hoped to create with them. Many of us decided to set a goal of reading nightly to our kids ... whether or not we were able to do it continuously, unbroken was not the concern, we only wanted to start to create memories that they could pass on to their own kids some day.

On June 20, 2011, Jamie and I started our journey with the Adventures of Frog and Toad, the 3 book collection of the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. So far, we have successfully read each night, though some were much harder than others, and have completed to set. Yesterday, we started Grimm's Fairy Tales ... let the adventures begin!

1 Tea Party Guest:

ancient one said...

That's a wonderful idea. Children that are read to... like to read. I must admit though, when it was time to read to my grandchildren, when they were the age of your little boy, I chose books with lots of pictures and not many words. (shame on me) My great-grandson loves Elmo. His mom reads to him and he loves it.