December 20, 2009

Life is full of adventure ...

I know its been a while since I last wrote update, but the last two months have been a whirlwind of activity. Some of you know parts of it, so bear with me as I fill everyone in.

Many of you know that October was spent with me packing up our home in Georgia (or at least seperating what the movers were not taking) while George finished school. The last week was a flurry of activity as the movers took two days to pack and on top of that the realtor brought 4 families through on those days to view the house for rent. Then the movers were suppose to arrive that Friday morming between 8 and 8:30 a.m. to load the trucks. At 10:30 a.m. I got a call that they were running behind schedule for another move 3 hours away and that they'd be there early afternoon. Many phone calls and one cranky pregnant later, they showed up at 5:30 p.m. to start loading. They finally finished a little after 11 p.m. Ah, the rollercoaster ride of military life!

We spent the weekend cleaning the house (George treated me to a maid who did all the scrubbing!) and then turned the house over to the rental company. That Wednesday (Nov. 4) he graduated school and Thursday we started the trip to Miami at 4:30 a.m. (UGH!) Eleven hours later, we pulled into our new neighborhood and got the keys for our "new home". We opted to stay in a hotel that night, since nearly everything we owned was on the back of a truck somewhere.

The next morning while the puppy stayed in bed (lazy little bugger!), George went to the AFB to in-process and I headed to the house to meet the movers. From the start I was nervous as bags and boxes fell out of the truck, but I was assured that none were ours! Once everything was unloaded and (most) were delivered to the room we'd specified, we settled in for our first night at the new house. (Don't worry, I am working on a post to explain the move in detail!)

That only lasted for a few days, because Nov. 10 we started the 2-day, 22 hour drive to Houston. We got to spend some time with family and I had tons of fun at the baby shower. Thanks to all who attended. While there it was a whirlwind of activity to include a 3-D ultrasound, shopping and visiting all those Texas restaurants that I've been missing!

Unfortunately, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I got a call that my paternal grandfather was in a serious car accident and was in critical care in New Orleans. George and I cut the Houston visit short to headed to the hospital the next day to spend some time with my grandmother and the rest of the family. Thanksgiving day we got back to Miami and settled in for a few days together. The following Tuesday (Dec. 1) he left for a conference in North Carolina and I settled in to get a few of the nearly 200 boxes unpacked. I got multiple daily updates from my Dad and aunt about my grandfather's recovery and for a while he looked to be improving, but on Thursday (Dec. 3) I got the call from my Dad that he passed away. George returned home the next day (Friday). On Saturday (Dec. 4) we attended part 1 of our birthing class, then loaded the truck and headed to La. to attend the funeral and spend some time with my family. Despite his packed schedule, most of which was spent traveling, George found the time to contact and coordinate with 2nd Bn, 4th Inf. Reg., his unit at Fort Polk, to see if they could get a team together for a military tribute. As few know, George and my grandfather served in the same unit, though nearly 50 years apart.

Tuesday (Dec. 8) we headed back to Miami, and George headed back to work the next morning. That following Saturday (Dec. 12) we finished the birthing class and then prepared for the Winter Ball in Key Largo that night. Sunday, after a month of constant travel, we decided to forgo unpacking and headed for the warm Miami beaches. It was a good decision, a day of much needed resting and relaxing.

Now the house is nearly unpacked, George is quickly settling in to his new command position and we even managed to coordinate a holiday lunch for the Soldiers and spouses this past Friday. The Christmas tree is up and (kind of) decorated since we could only find some of the ornaments, but Great-Grandma's (Leija) two angels were set aside from the day the movers came and they are now on display in the kitchen.

Baby Jamie is growing and active. I am now 32-weeks and go every other week to the doctor. My new baby doctor is great, though I am looking for another primary care physician. I just didn't like the one I was initially assigned. We are also researching pediatricians and hope to get one picked by mid-January.

January looks to be a busy one as we start the month off with our first spouses social and George's Assumption of Command. We'll finish with the baby's room and start preparing for his arrival as well.

I guess its time to rest now then its off to clean the kitchen. I get tired quite easily these days. Hope all is well with you and your families. May everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I will post some pictures in the next day or so.

Until our next cup of tea ...

7 Tea Party Guest:

Vee said...

Oh my! And I thought that everyone I know is busy, but you win the prize. I do hope that you find time to relax soon...for you and the baby.

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. What a difficult thing for your family at this time.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a very busy, joyous and sad gets complicated some times, and our plans are never our own.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

lime said...

my word, whirlwind is right!

i am so sorry to hear about your grandfather too. sincerest condolences on his loss.

stitcherw said...

Wow, you have been busy, I'm tired reading all you've been up to. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, hopefully the military tribute that you're trying to arrange works out.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! Goodness! You really have been busy...and to be pregnant at this time with moving and traveling! Sorry also for the news of your grandpa. great that you were able to spend time with family. and that it sounds like you are settling in!
Mele Kalikimaka & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (Hawaiian for Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!)

Blessings & Aloha!

Meari said...

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. :( Wow, you've been so busy! Take it easy and rest when you need to. Glad to hear mom and baby are doing well. :)

Sue said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfather's death. I hope your grandma is doing ok and that she has plenty of family and friends to help her.
And oh my gosh...your life sounds so, well, ACTIVE. Hope you have some days to relax before Jamie arrives 'cause you surely will need to be caught up on your sleep BEFORE he arrives.
Blessings to George in his new command, and to all of you in your new home.
Hugs my friend,