CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

April 30, 2009

Settling in ... Georgia on my Mind

As I expressed in my last post, we have made it to Georgia and are settling in. We were able to find a beautiful single story, three bedroom house in this cute little "cookie-cutter", Mayberry-type neighborhood.


{Our new house}



{My new big kitchen}



{Our new master bathroom}


We have had our share of headaches trying to consolidate our home with the furniture and stuff from George's dad's house which had been in storage until Easter weekend. There has been A LOT of purging. I am amazed at how easy it is to get rid of stuff when I am extremely exhausted. I wanted to just off load everything in the backyard and have a bonfire at one point, but I don't think the neighborhood association would like that.

We continue to live in a world with towering cardboard boxes, but I am slowly getting everything in place. (Only 137 left to unpack!) George has ensured that the important things were done the day after we got here ... so the cable and internet have been installed and the motorcycle is nestled in the garage with easy access. (Sigh) My list seems to be MUCH longer. I am not complaining because it is much better than the week we lived in the Red Roof Inn.


{George and Sgt. Major in standoff at the hotel of whether pup would get a treat and a walk ... Sgt. Major won!}


George and I both managed to get a respitory infection the week the movers came to Fort Polk and it lingers until today. We eventually went to the ER after 10 days (here at Fort Gordon) and after 6 hours of waiting they told us it was not high on the list and he was given an appointment for the clinic the next day (GRRR!).

There are some noticeable differences here than at our previous duty station ... like there are A LOT more dining choices and shopping and my personal favorite is there are 3 libraries and 4 bookstores (that I've found!)

All in all, things are slowing becoming normal. I have learning my way around faster than expected. I am almost finished with the last of my school work so I can turn it in and finally finish my masters. George is working on getting back into his "Iraq" shape and finishing putting together the motorcycle.

On another note, now that we are in Ga., Sgt. Major has become a local celebrity since the UGA-craze has consumed this state. He is loving it. Our master suit is (not surpisingly) larger than military housing and he has managed to spread out his toys between there and the livingroom.

Until our next cup of tea ...

5 Tea Party Guest:

Vee said...

What a cute house! I know that you will have fun whipping it into shape.

Hope that you two are feeling better every day and that you enjoy exploring your new community.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I really like your home...it will be up to par before you know it...then it'll be time to pack and move again...lol...
Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am also suffering with the crud. You sure don't feel like doing anything..
Talk later...
Love your Sgt. Major...he's so tough...lol..
Molly

Sue said...

Michelle,
You are an inspiration to all of us who are about to move. I think your new home will be wonderful for you three SGT Maj certainly sounds as though he will enjoy it also.
I hope you and George feel better. You will figure out all the furniture in due time. Maybe some rest would be good.
God bless you both in your new home.
Hugs my friend,
Sue

lime said...

the house looks really nice. glad you're finally getting settled in.

the search for a gym sounds like a nightmare. how inaccessible can they possibly make the facilities i wonder?

Amy said...

Um. I think you live in the same neighborhood I work in. I am a nanny. Main Street Subdivision?