CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

December 27, 2008

Our First Christmas ...

Well maybe it wasn't our first Christmas, but it was our first Christmas at home. For the past 7 years we've been together, we've spent our holidays traipsing from one Family event to another. Usually 3 a day. It was so exhausting and left us very cranky and lacking any holiday cheer.

This year we stayed home. Christmas Eve we had a candlelight dinner. George had marinated some steaks and I cooked some veggies and we had a nice bottle of wine before watching a movie. I had to wait for him to fall asleep so that the neighbor could bring over the Craftsman tool chest I'd gotten him. It seemed like it took forver to get it across the street and every noise sounded like a cannon. He was alseep in the livingroom so I was sure he'd hear the garage door. But I got it safety tucked in the garage and then woke him up to go to bed.

Christmas morning we woke up and I made pancakes. Actually first I prepared the ham by marinating it in Bourbon before cooking it in a brown sugar and Bourbon glaze. As you may imagine, Sgt. Major was VERY helpful ... all the way to the fridge ... as seen here ...



Then we opened presents. Puppy first ... we got him this oversized bone and a stuffed animal with squeaker. That damn bone turned him into Cujo and now, two days later we still cannot walk into whatever room he is in without him growling an lunging at us. {sigh} He was such a nice boy before that bone turned him eveil. George and I have decided to take it to the garage. We try this every few months. but those stupid bones turn him into an evil pup. Here he is guarding his treasures ...



What a rotten dog, But I digress.

Next it was our turn to exchange gifts. George got me an 80G Zune and new cell phone, both the same color as my computer. I am so excited that all my electronic toys match! (I know, I'm a total dork, but whatever!) I'll post a pic as soon as I am willing to put them down long enough. He also got me 3 of my top 5 holiday movies ... White Christmas (ultimate favorite, I love Bing Crosby!), Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life. I grew up without a TV and my stepmother never let us help with any decorations, she'd put up the stockings and IF we had a tree while we were all sleeping. So when I grew I kind of reverted to trying to recreate those Christmas memories that most people get when they are children.

George got a BlueRay player, two movies to go with it (something about Star Wars Clones and Tropical Thunder), the Craftsman tool chest, a hat from our college to replace the one he lost and a Texas hitchcover for his new truck (Oh, yeah, I'll have to post a picture of that soon too!)

After than we watched movies and ate luch (ham, green bean casserole and yams) at about 1 p.m. After that we just hung out about the house and played with out new toys while trying to stay out of Cujo's way. For desert we had Port (that is some SWEET tasting stuff) and pumpkin pie. It was an absolutely great day!

Until our next visit ...

5 Tea Party Guest:

Vee said...

It's great that you are re-creating Christmas on your terms. Your step-mom doesn't sound like a very happy or in tune person. Sigh.

That's crazy about your dog turning into a wild thing and all because of a bone. Gheesh!

And what was George's reaction to his gift? So funny to think of all that you were going through to get it in place.

lime said...

there is something to be said for quiet, at home celebrations. and i am glad you've been able to create the sort of memories you want. sounds like it was lovely in every way. :)

ancient one said...

I'm sure you enjoyed your nice quiet Christmas... it gets to be too much with parties everywhere... Ours was quieter this year too.

stitcherw said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas, and got some lovely goodies. Good luck with Cujo/Major, there are certain treats that my Jaz gets very territorial over as well. Have fun with your new toys. My DD keeps trying to get me to get a new phone that will do a bit more than the one I have now, but I keep telling her I hate learning new things like that. However, her phone when she came to visit looked like fun, and she could even play a game on it, so maybe....
Have a wonderful New Years.
Sue

ABW said...

Sounds like a great time! I'm glad that y'all could be together. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!