CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

September 3, 2008

Surviving a hurricane ... and myself ...

Well I survived Hurricane Gustav, but not my insanity. I’m going stir-crazy. Those who know me are well aware of well aware of my dependency on structure, order and discipline. My life is carefully coordinated in my magical planner. Between full-time job, part-time volunteer, finishing my masters, starting to create our dream home (in a mobile fashion of course), running after the puppy and stopping long enough to breath, I’m a whirlwind of activity which helps me get through deployments. But since George came home on emergency leave and I’ve put everything on hold to take care of my father-in-law, my planner has been empty as my husband tends to live by spontaneous decision making. Other than doctor’s appointments, I’ve lived from one moment to next, waiting for the “five-minute warning” before the next activity.

I love my FIL and my husband, but they are from a different world than me. As an only child raised by a single male parent, my husband is used to spending all of his free time with his dad, content to lay on the couch watching movies or playing with the Xbox, usually in the dark. As one of 12 children, this is so different from the world I came from. I learned early to entertain myself and take advantage of any alone time I may be blessed to find. On most occasions we were sent outside early in the morning, passed lunch through the kitchen window to the table on the porch and played in the southern sun on my parent’s 13-acres until we heard the dinner whistle (yes, there was a whistle to corral us all when necessary.)

Now as I sit here no plans, no direction. I try to work on some stitching projects for the kitchen, but poor George keeps thinking that I am mad at him when I go off to another room. He comes in and wants to talk or hang out or worse yet, brings our dearly loved, but highly excitable puppy to “visit mommy” which of course means I put what I am working on away because puppies and needles don’t mix. I just feel so unproductive. I can’t get any homework done, none of my projects have been marked off the list and my planner is empty, with most entries added AFTER to remind me for whatever reason later (like the Astros game for when I put the pictures in our scrapbook.)



My dance card is empty ...




This is what I'm used to ...


I know I should make the best of it ... I'm just learning how much of a creature of habit I really am ...

Until our next cup of tea ...

6 Tea Party Guest:

Sue said...

Oh my friend,
Being a creature of habit is a great thing most of the time. To an extent, I am one as well. Up at 0530, at work by 7 even though I don't start til 8 (because I refuse to sit in commuter traffic doing absolutely nothing but burning expensive gasoline), etc., etc., etc. It's good to fill your hours with busy things, as long as you are taking some of that time for yourself...and it sounds like you are.
I think you sound like a gifted, busy, giving young woman who loves her life, her husband and puppy, and the rest of her family.
Be blessed my friend. Prayers continue for all of you.
Hugs,
Sue

ancient one said...

Wow.. I need a planner.. LOL Maybe then I'd get something done....

(hugs

lime said...

you've mentioned starting your own family one day. allow me to tell you that feeling of not being productive at all is what you will live with during the baby and toddler years. once they are older and have a million activities your dance card will be full to bursting again.

ancient one said...

Thanks for coming by to check up on me after Hanna!

I never thought of it that way, but yeah, how come y'all are getting all the guys? Hope Ike will be as kind as Gustav, or even more so...stay safe.

Butterfly Wife said...

I'm glad you survived Gustav. I hope things are turning around for your FIL and you are able to get back to your schedule. take care.

Marine Wife said...

It's funny that lime commented something similar to what I was going to, except I would add that instead of the puppy your darling husband will bring you the kids when you're trying to have some alone time.

If it's any consolation, I'm also a planner and not having a plan drives me nuts, too.