CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

November 16, 2006

Tea Time: Christmas wishes ...

When I was a little girl all I wanted was a tiny china tea set. My parents were divorced when I was young and I thought that this would double my chances of getting it, but the joke was on me. My mom always got us big, more like HUGE stuff to out do my father's gifts ar prove that she loved us even though we only saw her twice a year, I'm not sure. But under the tree were the latest Barbie, Easy-Bake Oven and Cabbage Patch dolls. Funny though, we never got to play with them.

A few years ago I was helping my grandmother clean out her garage and found Cabbage Patch dolls and the Easy-Bake Oven all in their original packaging. Funny, but we weren't allowed to play with them because my mom said they would be collectibles one day. Joke was on her though because most had been ruined by the weather, but the three or four I used to sneak into the garage and take out of the boxes and play with were fine, so they now sit in a hope chest in my garage, a safe distance from my doll-destroying pup. I take them out occasionally and play with them because I can, I guess.

We never got many gifts at my father's house. With 11 siblings we drew names. My dad and step-witch ... ummm, I mean , stepmother, would get all matching gifts in three groups, boys, girls and babies. That how our bedrooms were divided too. One year my we got those clear plastic boxes with colored lid and a knockoff Care Bear (all my stuff was pink which I hated at the time but am LOVE now- I'll ask my therapist about that one!)

Anyway, I never got my children's tea set. But alas, Santa you can mark it off your list. Last night I was with a friends and her children at the Dollar General (that's right, I'm not picky when it comes to shopping) and there was a tiny tea set for $1. That's right mom and dad it would have only taken four quarters ... So I got one for me and she bought one for her 8-year-old daughter. Now we have matching sets. We might have a party.

So for a mere 100 pennies my collection has grown yet again, and I think this week it will be my favorite piece. I think for now I will keep it in the box so my parents will see all it took was $1 to make me happy (plus tax of course).

4 Tea Party Guest:

lime said...

awwww, thats' sweet. i'm glad you finally got your tiny tea set. i always wanted one too, and a dollhouse as well, one with wallpaper and furniture and teeny weeny place settings on the dining table. maybe someday:)

Anonymous said...

Hey I want you to know I had to console Lime after she found out you were badmouthing her yesterday. Oooooh you bad, bad girl.
TG

lime said...

that tommy, i swear....you're right he just wants to see us rolling around inthe mud pulling each other's hair. he just doesn't realize the solidarity that exists between the double l michelles of the world.

oh and btw, any chocolate youswipe with him , be sure to share it with me:D

Meari said...

I was looking at that same tea set last weekend. :) For Christmas one year, my Mom bought my sister and I teeny-tiny matching tea sets. Yes, my Mom always made sure we had "the same" stuff so we didn't feel left out even though there's 3 years difference in age. I still have some of that tea set in my keepsake chest.