CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

October 29, 2005

Jack-o-Lanterns! part 1

I grew up in a large and very religious family, so we never celebrated Halloween. My husband decided that this year we would make my first jack-o-lantern when he returned from Fort Drum.

It was so much fun! We bought a book and carving tools yesterday, but were unable to find any pumpkins. He searched for hours and today the search resumed.

We left a little after lunch and went searching in the neighboring towns. We stopped at one stand and the lady said they were out but her husband went to pick up more and would be back at 3:30 p.m. So we continued to search, but kept it in the back of our minds.

We circled that fruit stand three or four times before finally stopping again at 2:30 p.m. and asking again. She told us the same thing, 3:30 p.m. We went out onto the porch where we discussed whet to do. We were about 30 minutes from post and I had to turn in some photos for a contest by 4 p.m.

After the few other customers left, she came out and asked us how many pumpkins we were looking for. George told her we just needed two and we explained that I had never carved pumpkins before and that he had promised that we would do it when he got back because he'd be gone next year.

She took us to the small bathroom on the side of the store and said she had a few there for the radio station (they were giving them away) and that since her husband was coming back with some she wouldn't mind letting us pick two from them.

So we did and five minutes later we were on our way back home. After a brief stop at the Arts and Craft Center to drop off the photos and a stop at the shoppette to see if they had eggnog yet (my husband CRAVES the stuff ... its almost a sure bet I'll get jewelry for Christmas if I keep a supply in the house) we headed home.

Since we had taken family photos that morning (with the puppy of course) I was still sort of dressed up so I went to change into my Houston Texans warm-up suit. By the time I got back he had taken off dress shirt and was cutting off the top in his white T-shirt.

So while we carved I took some photos and will post them Monday when I get to work. But we had a blast! Now I can't wait until it get dark and we can taken them outside and light them ... Don't worry, I'll take some photos!

1 Tea Party Guest:

LoveMyTanker said...

Sounds like so much fun! :)